Monday, July 12, 2010

It Just Wasn't Meant to Be

I left work today a bit cranky, for no apparent reason, and I was really looking forward to getting in the pool for a solid hour to just have that sense of peace that swimming always brings me. I had to wait two hours for the swim team to finish, so I just caught up on a tv show and cleaned my room for a bit.

Enter thunderstorm.

Around 6:15, I started to hear thunder. It was pretty far away, but I started to prepare for a power outage by running around and plugging in my phone and my computer so that they would be charged for a potential days-long outage (which we had about 3 weeks ago).

At 6:40, I grabbed my gear and got in the car to go to the gym. It was raining, but it didn't start to pour until I turned onto the main road. All of the sudden- BAM- the road was flooding and I could hardly see anything in front of me. The gym is only about 5 minutes away, but I was gripping the steering wheel so tightly and going about 2 mph so my (extremely) old car wouldn't skid if I had to stop quickly. I finally reached the parking lot and braced myself for the run to the building. I sprinted my heart out, but it was really pointless since I got soaking wet the very second I opened the car door. Once inside, I put on my flip flops (naturally, I was running barefoot so that I wouldn't slip in the flip flops in the parking lot) and went to the front desk. The following conversation ensued:

Me: Whew!! At least I'm just going for a swim!

Front Desk Guy aka Mr. Thinks I'm Nuts: Huh?

Me: I'm already soaked, so it's a good thing I'm just swimming!

Mr. TIM: Uhhh all the pools are closed indefinitely due to thunder.

Me: What?!?!?

Mr. TIM: Yep. We'll open them 30 min. after we hear the last of the thunder.

Me (slightly hysterical): Why do they close the indoor pools?!?! The indoor pools are closed too???? Why do they close the indoor pools?!?!?

Mr. TIM: I don't know. You can call to see if they're open later.

I walked out the door puzzled, and a little bit angry, because I'm not sure why thunder closes the indoor pools. I returned to my house and got on the treadmill. 3 miles and half of an NCIS episode later, I stepped off the treadmill and gave myself a Gibbs head slap for running. Today was supposed to be my day off of running, and due to the lack of pool access, it was my only exercise option. Seeing as I was so cranky, a complete rest day was just not happening.

Oh wait, it's not over yet.

After the run, and after the episode was over, I called the gym to see if the pools were open. I was told that they had just reopened, so I got back into my car and headed over. Along the way, I accidentally made a wrong turn because I was too engrossed in singing a Rihanna song. I eventually made it to the gym, jumped into the pool, and swam 200 meters when.....

Tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet (that's the sound of a whistle, not a bird)!!!!! THUNDER!!!!!

I hopped out of the pool, seriously angry at this point because not only did my muscles not get their relaxing swim, but I was also very hungry. I drove home and made dinner, and now that my stomach's full, the whole night just seems hilarious.

Mother Nature: 50 Me: 0

At least now I have the relaxing sound of rain to put me to sleep. I'll try the pool again tomorrow or Wednesday, barring any tornadoes or snowstorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment