Monday, July 19, 2010

Time to Refocus

This summer has not been very conducive to marathon training. I've traveled every weekend but one, and I haven't been able to put myself on an early morning running schedule. The result is that my training has not been very consistent. I've skipped speed workouts in favor of slow, easy runs because I'm usually tired and hungry after work, and I've shortened the length of my long runs because I haven't been disciplined enough to make sure that I'm well rested and hydrated.

For example, on Friday, I tried to do my scheduled 11 mile long run. We were planning on leaving for the beach at 7 am on Saturday morning, so I thought it would be best to get the run over with. I started out at 5:15 pm after work on Friday despite the excessive heat warning. It was above 90 and very humid. I told myself I was tough, so I could gut it out. I ran 3.5 miles, stopped at McDonald's to use the facilities, and then went to Wawa for water and Gatorade. I continued on until mile 6 or so when I had a total breakdown. I was incredibly hungry. I had had stomach pain at the beginning of the run, but toward the middle I all of the sudden ran out of energy and needed food immediately. By mile 8, I could hardly force my legs to move. I eventually made it back to my house after stopping at a lemonade stand (can't thank those kids enough for the two cups of lemonade and bottle of water for $0.75!), and proceeded to lay down on my floor for half an hour next to the dog. I ran 10 miles total, but it was a disaster. I was happy that I didn't have to do the run later in the weekend, but I was also disappointed because I know I can run better than that, I just wasn't being smart.

So, new game plan. I need to focus again. This means proper sleep, nutrition, hydration, and planning. On tap for tomorrow is a tempo run. I'd like to do a track workout, but I still don't have my watch- it was shipped to me with a new battery today, so maybe I'll get it by Wednesday.

I've been setting myself up to fail; hopefully this week I'll get my act together!

No comments:

Post a Comment