Sunday, July 11, 2010

Long Run: Check (Well, Almost)

Yesterday I woke up and was very pleased to see that it was raining. After a week of temps in the high 90s (and low 100s), I was excited to head out for my run in the cooler weather. I left my iPod at home because I thought the trails might be more empty than usual. Unfortunately, this meant that I was a bit bored during the first 3 miles or so. I was also a little stiff, and I didn't fully warm up until around mile 3.5. I picked up my pace at that point, and around mile 6.5 I ended up at the track to finish up the last few miles. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of security by the rain because I didn't bring a water bottle or Gatorade with me, and I only stopped once at a water fountain (at mile 4.5). Needless to say, by the time I reached the track I was dehydrated. My legs felt like bricks, and I couldn't stop visualizing a glass full of ice water. I cut my run short by a half mile because I just couldn't stand it anymore, and I figured that I was being an idiot. So instead of 9 miles, I did 8.5 I'm not really going to beat myself up over it. I just need to remember that even though it may be raining, and even though it may feel cool, I'm still sweating and losing fluids. Rookie mistake. I'm not sure how long the run took me because my watch needs a new battery, and I need to mail it to New York or something to get it fixed.

Today I have a 5 miler on tap, but I have to drive back to Philly, so I'll probably wait until later in the day to get it in. I'm considering shifting my runs on weekdays from the evening to the morning, but that's going to take a massive effort. I think it might be worth it, though, because I never seem to be able to motivate myself to do long track workouts in the evening after work. I might also be able to swim more, and it's much easier to jump into the pool after work than it is to go out for a run in the heat and humidity. I think I need a buddy to motivate me to get up early.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment